Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Baking with Dorie: Strawberry & Apple cobbler

I've never baked a cobbler before, so when our BWD bake came up this week, I was none the wiser! 




The recipe on page 415 of Baking from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan, called for rhubarb and cherry cobbler. Since cherries are not in season this side of the world, and those that are available are imported and cost an arm and a leg (R36.00 for a 200g punnet!!!), I opted for strawberries. After searching high and low for rhubarb, I came to the conclusion that it was just not grown around here. So, I substituted apples for the rhubarb. So many substitution going on here, eh??!!






The topping of the cobbler lends itself to a shortbread kinda dough. I used ground almonds instead of the wholewheat flour the recipe called for. I love how quickly this can be made!! 1....2....3 and in the oven it goes! 


I served it warm with tinroof ice cream. And from the silence emanating from the lounge, I guess the kids loved it and so did I! 






Head on to Ryan's blog for the recipe and go on and try this! It's perfect with the winter weather we're having! 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! hey, now I think I get the biscuit balls and why it's called a cobbler - the balls are supposed to resemble cobblestones?? hehe...I was so confused when my dough did not cover the entire fruit!

    bet the ice-cream complimented the cobbler very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! The strawberries look wondeful...I think we would have enjoyed them far more than the cherries (even though they were delicious as well). The ice cream sounds like the perfect complement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After seeing your blog & Rebecca's, I think I may have to make this again & serve it with ice cream ;-)
    Good to know you all enjoyed the cobbler so much. Thanks for baking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of this cobbler. You did a great job. Many of us ended up subbing. I used blueberries, apples and cherries. Fruity desserts are really delicious.

    ReplyDelete